Tuesday, August 28, 2012

On Being a Single Lady

My friends, please allow me a moment to revel in the joy that comes from living by yourself.  It's just me, Tucker, and the dust mites around here, and it has been a glorious few weeks.  But I'm a realist, and I know there will come a day when I will think, "WHY DID I THINK IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO LIVE BY MYSELF?! I'M SO LONELY AND BORED!"  So in the almost inevitable event that occurs, here is a list of things I enjoy about living alone to remind me when I'm in tears because the dog didn't appreciate the exquisite boeuf bourguignon I made.


  1. I can sort laundry in the kitchen.  And leave it there.
  2. If I want to turn the living room into my own personal hot yoga salon, no one can stop me.
  3. I never have to wonder just what I'm going to walk into in the bathroom.
  4. If it's been a long day and all I want to do is eat dinner in my underwear and surf the Internet, Tucker's not gonna judge me.
  5. The fact that I require about 20 alarm clocks to get out of bed in the morning now only annoys me.
  6. I always get to choose the movie.
  7. The couch?  It's mine.  The TV? Mine too.  All the stuff in the kitchen? Also mine.
  8. If I don't like something about the decor, I can get rid of it and start over.
  9. Rearranging the furniture can be done at midnight if the feeling strikes.
  10. When I don't feel like folding the laundry, I can leave it in the dryer.  For days.
  11. Everything's organized in a way that makes sense to me.
  12. All the chores are my responsibility, but I can do them on a schedule and in a manner that suits me.
  13. Every room is my closet. Specifically my shoe closet.
  14. Tucker is the only one who has to witness my addiction to cheese balls.  And my disgusting orange fingers.
  15. Leaving all the lights on because I watched a scary movie will only affect my power bill.
  16. I can listen to my Blackhawk station on Pandora all I want.
  17. When someone compliments me on the decor, I get to take all the credit.
  18. I don't disturb anyone coming in late if I go out.
  19. That I-forgot-my-towel-run from bathroom to bedroom is decidedly less awkward.
  20. I can do a puzzle on the coffee table or cut fabric at the kitchen table and leave it there as long as I want to.
In a few months I may be singing a different tune, but for right now, bring on the solitude! 



A quick update on school and other things:  

The first week was an absolute whirlwind.  I'm hoping to get a few more decorations and things in place before I take pictures to share with you, but you've waited so long already!  I am working impossibly long days just trying to stay one day ahead of my students, which has me exhausted, but I am definitely enjoying myself.  Hopefully soon I can post about the classroom and my first few weeks, but until then just try to be patient and understand that first-year teaching is probably the most intensive job out there.

The apartment looks much better than it did before.  Mountain Man was here this past weekend and I forced asked him nicely to help me hang pictures and curtains and all sorts of things.  As soon as I find a few spare minutes to put away the odds and ends that have accumulated, I will take lots of pictures to share, because I'm so excited and proud of it!  But, again, because of school, I literally have not taken the time to eat when I should these last few days and having a pin-neat apartment is somewhere near the bottom of my priority list.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment