Monday, October 7, 2013

The Proposal

At long last, I will share with you the story of Mountain Man's proposal to me!

It was simple and sweet, which is just what I wanted (I had long ago threatened him with refusal if he proposed to me in public). I think that a proposal should be a private event in a couple's life because it's so intimate.

Even though I don't think there should be any witnesses, I don't mind sharing, because proposals seem to be one of those things that everyone is naturally curious about.

"So how'd he do it?!"

 First, you should know that I had no idea it was coming.  In fact, I had just been complaining (crying) to my closest girlfriend that I didn't think it was going to happen any time soon. This was just a few weeks after I had shared my elation with her that Mountain Man had asked me my ring size. What can I say? I'm a woman through and through, fickle emotions included.

It happened on the evening of my job interview here in Albertville, and as I've mentioned, I had arranged to stay overnight.  Mountain Man and I made plans to hang out with a couple of our friends for dinner, and he mentioned that he wanted me to see the progress that had been made on the Little Cabin.

I agreed, and after he got off work, we headed to the Cabin. First, he had to show me his garden (the man's pride and joy), and as we were driving across the field from the garden to the road that leads to the Little Cabin, I shared an idea that had come to me a few days previously.

"Wouldn't it be neat if we got married out here?"

I elaborated on my plans that people could park in one field, and we could have the ceremony in the other, and he agreed in that way that men do when they don't know what else to say.

Little did I know, I had just provided him with his opening and segue.

When we reached the Cabin, he took me on the grand tour, walking me across the subfloor that had just been installed upstairs and taking me down into the basement to see the master suite and our safe room.

As we were standing in our future bedroom, I embraced him, as I often do for no reason (I'm a touchy-feely kinda person), and as we were standing there, he said, "Well, if you want to get married here, I have to ask you first."

At first I was confused, and I leaned back and looked up at him. "Huh?"

"If you want to get married here, I have to ask you first."

Misunderstanding, I replied, "Mountain Man, you know I want to marry you."

"No, really."

At this point, I still hadn't caught on to what he was trying to say to me, but as he stepped back and reached into his pocket, the light started to dawn.

I probably raised my hands to my mouth, the picture of feminine nerves, but I don't honestly remember.  The next thing Mountain Man said to me as he held out the ring box was, "Will you marry me?"

In the movies, the women stare at the ring in shock, but I barely remember looking at it.  I said, "Of course!" and dissolved into tears in his arms.  Finally he said, "Well, put it on!" and we took it out of the box and slid it onto my finger.

This time, I did look at it, and it was beautiful.  Mountain Man had shared an idea for the design with me a couple years ago, and I secretly loved it, so I'm glad he didn't change it.  The center diamond was flanked by two emeralds, representing each of us and our May birthdays; the diamond represented the unity of our relationship.  The band was not solid but made of delicate swirls that surrounded the emeralds.  "It's beautiful," I said.



We embraced again, and I tried to compose myself. I was overwhelmed, deliriously happy, and in shock - all at the same time.

I remember he asked me if I was surprised, and I said I absolutely was.  It was the perfect ending to a stressful day (remember the interview had occurred only hours before), and the setting couldn't have been better.

Every time I step into our room, I will remember standing before him as he asked me to be his wife.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful story. I can add that when you called us (your parents), your were still in shock and pretty much speechless!

    ReplyDelete